Today I welcome Vicki Lewis Thompson .She’s here to tell us about her new release WEREWOLF IN LAS VEGAS and a little bit about herself. I had the pleasure to meet Vicki a few years ago at RWA National and so glad she’s stopping by for a visit today.
Thanks for joining us today Vicki!
Thanks for inviting me! It’s terrific to be here.
1) Tell us a bit about your new release, WEREWOLF IN LAS VEGAS. So this werewolf walks into a casino . . . . No, that’s not the story! It starts off with a poker game, but that’s the end of the gambling part. After that, we discover that a wealthy pack of werewolves do indeed have major holdings in Sin City and we learn how complicated that can be in such an urban environment. I’ve also created a pairing I’ve never tried before – Giselle, who’s a werewolf, falls for Luke, who’s human.
2) Where do you get your ideas? For example Life experience, fantasies, experiences and fantasies of friends, etc. I finally figured out that transformation stories are my favorite kind, and I’m inspired by any story in which someone makes a major change in his or her life. They might be someone I know or someone I read about. The werewolf stories lend themselves perfectly to that because for the lovers to end up happily ever after, they both have to make huge changes in their thinking.
3) What do you find draws you most to write? I write for the love of it –always have – but when I started making money at it, I realized this would be my job. It’s my dream job, so I want to keep it. I won’t keep it unless I continue to nurture my creativity and spend plenty of time actually writing. Maintaining my career is a huge motivator because I don’t want to go back to any of my former day jobs.
4) What else do you have in the works? Cowboys! I’m writing a series for Harlequin called the Sons of Chance. I’m also about to begin a new project for NAL which is still in the planning stages. I’m also self-publishing my backlist of the Nerd series and I’ve e-published a new one, NERDS ARE FROM MARS. In the fall I’ll e-publish NERD OF THE JUNGLE. I have such fun with my nerds and can’t seem to give them up.
5) How do you name your characters? Any special tricks? I have three or four baby name books, and my favorite one is falling apart from a lot of use and one unfortunate dip in the swimming pool. Naming my characters is both fun and frustrating. After more than 100 books, I have to be careful not to use the same names too often. I have a real fondness for Jack, but I’ll have to retire that one. I’ve had three heroes named Jack, and each of those books was memorable, so I have to be finished with Jack.
6) Do you own an ebook reader or read on an electronic device? If so, what? I own a Kobo, which I’ve used a little bit, but I confess I didn’t fall in love with it. My plan is to get an iPad mini soon, because I want to jump into this brave new world but old habits are hard to kick!
7) As a romance/erotica reader, what sort of stories do you personally prefer? My reading candy is historicals, especially Regencies, because they’re nothing like what I’m writing. It’s also fun to read books in which there are no condoms.
8) What’s your favorite guilty pleasure? I don’t know how guilty I am about doing it, but I’m fascinated with tarot cards. Astrology, too, but I realized in order to become good at astrology I’d have to study a LOT. I can absorb tarot a little at a time without bending my brain too much.
9) Any vacation or appearance plans this year? I’ll be at the Romantic Times Booklover’s Convention April 15-18! So New Orleans, here I come! Other than that, I plan to mostly stay home and nurture my creativity, although I can guarantee there will be a couple of Disneyland trips in there. A trip to Disney does wonders for my muse.
10) What would your readers by very surprised to learn about you? I have no TV reception! I own a flat screen and a DVD player, but no cable or dish network for this girl. I’m very picky about what I watch, too. I sit in front of the TV once or twice a week at most, and then only at night. I’d rather read!
For details on Vicki Lewis Thompson please visit www.vickilewisthompson.com, Like her at facebook.com/vickilewisthompson or follow her on twitter @vickilthompson
NYT bestseller Vicki Lewis Thompson loves her job and plans to do it until someone pries her cold, dead fingers away from the keyboard. She’s worked with four major publishers during a career in which she’s written more than a hundred books, earned the Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievement Award, and experienced the pleasure of working at home dressed in a t-shirt and sweats.